A 21st Century high-tech Santa was the norm for me as a military brat. He was tracked by, NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command. In patriotic style, the jolly old guy forgoed his Victorian sleigh and arrived at the Base, in a state-of-the-art military aircraft, helicopter, or tank, and whizzed around the base in a fire truck, with sirens blaring and flags waving.
I was spoiled and a brat when it came to Santa. However, “military brats,” is not an accurate description for military kids. They sacrifice immensely for our country. These children would give up their military Santa and his satchel of high tech toys for one simple wish.
“… PEACE ON EARTH…” Luke 2:14
This one wish would bring their military parent home.
As a military wife, the dream I had for my father was now a wish I held for my husband. The time will come when peace will be on earth and soldiers will come home to their families until then; military families are left to celebrate holidays, including Christmas by themselves.
5 Practical Ideas to Create a Snippet of PEACE for a Military Family
“…Peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.” James 3:18
- Help Santa
- Shop for gifts with her: Allow her to choose the gifts, and talk about her kids, this is what she would do with her spouse. Maybe surprise her and pay for them.
- Put together toys: Bikes & Barbie House with a million pieces. Midnight on Christmas is no time for her to deal with this.
- Be her Santa: Often she has no gifts under the tree for herself.
- Christmas preparations before and after: Homecomings and deployments leave the heavy lifting and clean up duty on the shoulders of these wives.
- Invite military family to your home: On Christmas day and Christmas Eve. These families live away from immediate family, and this can be an incredibly lonely time for them.
- Invite to church and help get the kids ready.
- Share the PEACE and GIFT Jesus.
“I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.” John 14:27
Boots on the Ground, National Military Advisor